Sound Legal Advice and Representation for Wisconsin Nonprofit Organizations
Charities, Foundations and Trade Associations
Although a nonprofit organization is technically a business, some of the laws that govern these business enterprises are unique, particularly tax-related ones. The attorneys at Niebler, Pyzyk, Roth & Carrig, LLP are well-versed in nonprofit business law and can help you understand and comply with the state and federal laws that apply to your type of organization.
Whether you are establishing a foundation to minimize the tax consequences of current and future income or you are starting a nonprofit to provide for the social welfare, our nonprofit attorneys can provide the legal and transactional services you need. Contact our law offices in Menomonee Falls for legal help throughout southeastern Wisconsin.
Legal Services That Any Business Needs
- Nonprofit business formation services
- Governance matters, including those concerning fiduciary responsibilities, the personal liability of directors, excess compensation concerns for executives, and conflicts of interest
- Assistance with business transactions such as lease or purchase of business property and contracts with clients and vendors
- Intellectual property protection
Legal Services that are Unique to Nonprofits
- Formation and governance documents to obtain and maintain 501(c)(3) or any other tax-exempt status
- Filing IRS Form 1023 or Form 1024 to apply for tax-exempt status
- Registration with the state and local authorities in order to engage in fundraising
- Advice on reporting requirements to help nonprofits maintain their tax-exempt status
- Completing annual Form 990's and other reporting documents
- Tax advice to help not-for-profit organizations avoid UBIT (unrelated business income tax)
- Legal advice to avoid charges of illegal lobbying and campaign activities
- Tax planning services, particularly for charitable foundations, along with legal advice to ensure compliance with tax rules and distribution requirements in the case of foundations
Contact our law offices in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, to schedule an opportunity to meet with a lawyer about nonprofit formation services and other nonprofit business needs.